Pumpkin Spice and Everything Nice

Nana Barb's Pumpkin Roll 


I want to share one of my most favorite recipes EVER. Whenever my Nana Barb visited me as a child, she would bring me my beloved Pumpkin Roll (a special one without pecans since I have a bit of an allergy). Once I was old enough to bake, I begged her for the recipe. Many of my friends and old classmates know of this Family Famous Roll because y'all.. I get so excited when pumpkin season is here! I get a little stir crazy. I'm that girl that makes pumpkin muffins, pancakes, lattes, scones, and has ALL the pumpkin scented candles....and a Pumpkin Spice Latte Hoodie. I still haven't mastered pumpkin pie, but trust me I will eventually!!

Anyways, it's the season of giving so here's a little present to y'all. I'm sharing my grandmother's recipe so you can get a little taste of Nana's cooking no matter where you may be this holiday season!

RECIPE

Ingredients:

Roll
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 tsp salt 
  • 2/3 cup pumpkin
  • ½ tsp cinnamon
  • 1 cup sugar
  • ¾ cup flour
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • chopped pecans (optional to sprinkle on top of dough)
Filling

  •  1 pkg 8 oz Phil cream cheese (room temp)
  •  1 tsp vanilla
  •  2 Tablespoons butter
  • 1 cup powdered sugar
Directions:
Roll

Pre-heat over to 375.

Mix dry ingredients together ( flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt). Beat the eggs and sugar together in a spare bowl until combined. Fold in the Pumpkin. Stir in flour mixture.

Grease cookie sheet and line with waxed paper then grease again.  Mix ingredients together and spread evenly on top of waxed paper.  Sprinkle chopped nuts on top.  

Bake in oven 15 to 18 minutes. Make sure to not over cook! This dries it out and causes cracking.
Remove from oven and turn out on cloth dusted with powdered sugar so it won't stick (you can use parchment paper, it isn’t as messy, but I've gotten best results from using a towel then parchment on top)
Make sure to do this while warm to avoid cracking!Roll up like a jelly roll and place in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour.  

Filling

You can make this ahead of time, with your mixer. I whip it for two minutes on High until its about the consistency of cool whip. Wrap with alum foil and set in fridge.



Unroll and spread the filling,  re-roll and place in refrigerator. Let set for another hour. 

Sprinkle powder sugar and serve!

Hope y'all enjoy it as much as I do!

Xo,
Lisa Monique
email: lisamoniquehealthandfitness@gmail.com
instagram/twitter: lisa__monique


Comments

Popular Posts