Moving | The Breakdown


Moving | Does it ever go right? 

I have moved SO often, you would think I'm a pro at it by now. Trust me...I'm not. However, I have picked up a few tips and tricks along the way. I honestly don't know how I would survive without Pinterest or blogs, they make life so much easier! Yes, it's one of the biggest reasons I decided to start one. I hope I can enlighten and assist others like many have done for myself. I will always do my best to credit those who I may quote or share information from. Anyways we aren't talking about my life story right? lol. Let's get back to well...moving (duh). 

Here's the steps I follow..

Step  O N E: Budget
The three things you really want to focus on when it comes to money and moving are rent, moving costs, and deposits.
Rent-
  • 25% of income is your safe space for rent with a standard living budget.
  • If you're a military family look up your new BAH, then subtract your average utilities costs (you can google this). The remaining amount is your max budget for rent. I highly recommend this for lower ranking individuals. However, if you know your income is significantly higher than your expenses you can most likely go with the full BAH amount as your max budget for rent. Also, I do recommend looking into your new duty station's on-base housing opportunities. Depending on the area, this may be safer and more accommodating to your family.
Moving-
  • boxes/tape ~ I love the uhaul box kit (40 boxes and all the packing supplies you need). Most home improvement stores have them (Lowes, Home Depot, even Walmart). For our two bedroom apartment we used about 100 boxes in various sizes....we've got lots of decor..and I have lots of clothes lol.
  • movers vs. self move ~ I suggest self moves for local or near by areas (uhaul, budget, etc.). For long distance moves these can actually be much more expensive so I would google local movers and get quotes (check reviews!!), our CA to SC is quoted from 2k to 3k by a moving company to give y'all a little perspective. This can make it a lot easier for you and you can be reassured your valuables are packed properly during the long journey. I've also heard you can use Greyhound to transport your unneeded items cross-country at a moderate prices, but I have yet to try this.
  • replacement items ~ Prepare to restock your kitchen, this was about $600 our very first move since we had nothing at all. I'm guessing for it to be a couple hundred this next time around, but we know what we really need this time. It really is a trial and error process. Also, this might be a good time to replace those old pots/pans, vacuum, ect. 
  • redecorate ~ If you have the means, this is the perfect time to redecorate! It's super exciting to give your home a new theme around your new environment. In Northern Nevada we focused on warmer tones accenting with navy, beige, and red. However, when we moved back to SoCal we chose a turquoise/aqua/seafoam color with neutrals to emphasize on our new beachy surroundings. I have yet to decide what we will so in Beaufort, thinking a cleaner "light & bright" look with pops of classy country (burlap, twine, coppers, ect.)
Deposits-
After you pick your apartment make sure you take account of the deposits. Here's some of the one's we are preparing for..
  • property deposits 
  • pet deposits
  • utility company deposits

Step  T W O: Where?
I am all about resources, so I love using multiple to compare my options. Now that we have our budget we know what we can spend...but where? If you're moving for a job you should set a maximum commute for yourself, a lot of the resources listed below have and option to help you stay in your location. Otherwise set a maximum mile distance from your preferred zipcode.

Step  T H R E E: Packing
Everyone will have their own way of packing, but here's a few of the hacks I've discovered and work for me.
  • Dollar/99 cent store, why spend more than you need to right? They actually have packing foam/wrap. 
  • To make packing and unpacking your closet easier..just wrap a trash bag around the hanging clothes and use the bag strings to cross around the hangers, keeping them together.
  • While packing fragile items use towels, blankets, or linen to cushion them. Smaller items you can use socks.
  • Use foam plates and cups to cushion your dinnerware sets. Placing them vertically causes them to be less breakable.
  • Put your books in a suit case to make the transporting easier.
  • Pack an overnight bag and first 24 hour box in a clear storage box.
  • Label boxes with items and color code them by room. Do this with stickers (found at dollar stores) or colored tape.
  • Put a cotton ball/pad in cosmetic items to keep them from breaking
  • Before packing toiletries or liquids place saran/plastic wrap over the openings, then put the lid back on.
  • Press and Seal or Stretch Wrap works wonders on drawers, furniture, and even keeping jewelry intact.
  • When dismantling furniture, store the small pieces in a ziplock and tape them to the back of the item.
Step  F OU R: Move
You're almost there!! Just a few things left.

Do these 2 weeks prior:
  • Change address
  • Make list of necessities needed at new location (groceries, toiletries, etc).
  • Arrange charity/donations center pick ups.
  • Call new utilities companies to set up turn on date for  24-48 hour prior to arrival. You can do this sooner, 2 weeks before should be the latest you do so.
  • Call old utility companies to set up move out/turn off date.
  • Reconfirm all details of the move (moving companies/flights/finances..ect.). This should be to basically just put your mind at ease. These things should all be done at least 6 weeks prior, if possible.
Last minute things:
  • Defrost fridge at least 24 hours prior to move.
  • Fill nail holes with a white bar of soap (helps with deposits)
  • After cleaning, take pictures of empty property ( MUST for getting your deposit back).
YOU DID IT!! Now let's go...

Step F I V E: Unpacking
This is a lot easier if you make a plan. Like I can't emphasize on that enough. I personally like to stick with one room per day. I like to unpack necessities first. I normally start with Kitchen and Bathroom, then move onto the Bedroom(s), Living Room, and finally Dining Room. Sometimes if I know I won't need the items (ex. warm weather wear in during a winter move) I will put them to the side for later or even just store them until that season.

Hope this helps y'all! Be sure to email me and comment below for further requests or any questions.

Xo,
Lisa Monique
email: lisamoniquehealthandfitness@gmail.com
instagram/twitter: lisa__monique 

Comments

Popular Posts